Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Why was I complaining about navy blue fabric and navy blue thread in my last post? Well it had to do with something I've been working on for Sutter's Fort. I recently finished docent training there, and now I'm getting a period costume together.


IMG_0562.JPG


These pictures were taken in my parent's living room- with a small house and two cats, there is no way my place is that neat.


IMG_0563.JPG


The dress is made from a blue and tan plaid "homespun" cotton fabric. I used a pattern from Sutter's Fort called the "1840's Wrapper Dress." I did alter the pattern a little bit to cartridge pleat the skirt. (I had to add a strip of fabric to the pleated part of the skirt and put a binding on the bodice where the skirt was sewn.) I also lengthened it a little bit. In the pictures I'm wearing period undergarments- three petticoats, a chemise, a corset and a pair of drawers. I also need to work on an apron, and I have a straw bonnet that I need to modify a little bit. I'm also trying to figure out how to put my hair up- it's so thick, that while I can braid it, one braid won't stay up on my head. I think I might be able to do some sort of figure 8 bun if I do two braids.


Now I'm very tempted to start on another dress from the Laughing Moon Ladies' Round Dress pattern. I'm leaning toward view B, or maybe view C with the sleeves of view B.

No comments: