Monday, February 08, 2010

Let's see if I can make myself post at least once a month. Hopefully the more I post, the more interesting it can get. I apologize that several of the photos in this post are iPhone pictures.

2010-01-03 13:39:06 -0800
After I played around with the inkle last month, I started messing around with Kumihimo. My grandma gave me her stand, which my grandpa built. It's a little on the tall side, but it works, and I think with the weights it's probably easier to keep tension than if I had tried one of the inexpensive disks instead. I've made a few braids with bits of cotton that I have around the house. Here is the first one:
first kumihimo braid

For the little one giving her youngest cousin a big hug and kiss here, I made a dressy little day-glo skirt for her third birthday.
2010-02-06 17:07:38 -0800
As is normal for her, before the end of the party she had decided to try it on.
2010-02-06 17:07:56 -0800

and just a random picture of an inkle I've been working on, I have a simple twill scarf on one of my floor looms, but no pictures of it yet.
scroll inkle band

Friday, January 01, 2010

Okay, so I've been ignoring this blog. What's new- I tend to ignore it when school is in session, then come back to it when I've got a break. I spent the first week of this break recovering from getting my wisdom teeth out, then this week trying to get caught up, and hopefully I can get more stuff done next week before school starts back up.

Every time there is a break I have a list of things I want to get done. This break was no different, and it also was no different in that I was distracted and started doing other things instead. I did a lot of knitting on a plain sock, and it's pretty obvious where I was on a dose of vicodin (I got dry socket in both bottom sockets) and where I wasn't. Oh well, it's just for me and probably will wash out over time, since it's just tension issues.

new year's inkle

Once I was off the vicodin I dragged out two of my inkle looms and started playing with some pick up designs. I haven't done a lot of work with pick up on the inkles, but I want to make some trim for when I fix the sleeves on my Irish costume. The first loom I warped in chocolate and blue pearl cotton, and started a simple celtic knot pattern that I found online. I'm not totally happy with it, and I'll finish it then borrow a book of celtic needlepoint designs from my grandma to see if there is one I can adapt for a slightly different band.


The second band that I started is on my inklette (which is a pain to warp!) and is in lime and plum bamboo rayon. It's just a simple design that I sketched out when I realized that I wasn't going to have the patience to finish warping it as wide as originally planned. It's the first time I've used this little loom, even though I bought it a while ago. I do like how the band is coming out, and it's some of my favorite colors.

bamboo mini inkle

I'll see how far I get these done next week, and hopefully have a better idea about what I want to finish up the costume by then so I can warp the bigger inkle back up.